Citadele Bank use a security system for payment card transactions, which help prevent illegal transactions with the cards in foreign countries and online stores registered abroad, as well as protect your money. In all cases, we recommend to inform the bank when traveling outside the European Union.
We constantly monitor transactions made abroad. We consider the rising number of illegal transactions and data theft incidents, as well as the economic and political situation in a country to restrict payment card transactions in certain countries. Restrictions may vary from country to country, depending on the nature of the potential risk. This might mean a restriction on cash withdrawals from ATMs, card payments in shops that do not require PIN codes, or online payment.
Payment card restrictions are imposed in the following countries (the list is subject to change):
|Argentina, Brazil, Cambodia, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Guatemala, Haiti, Hondur, India, Indonesia, Jamaica, Mexico, Nepal, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Taiwan, Thailand, USA, Vietnam
If you are travelling to a country (outside the European Union) in which payment card restrictions are imposed, but you intend to use your card and do not wish for operations to be blocked during your trip, please inform us in one of the following ways:
- Sign in to the Citadele internet bank and fill out the free form application.
- Call the Call Centre phone line 19091 or landline phone number +370 5 221 9091 when calling from abroad. Once the bank consultant has checked your identity, indicate the country to which you intend to travel, the duration of your trip and the cards that you intend to use.
- Visit a customer service division and indicate the country to which you intend to travel, the duration of your trip, and the cards that you intend to use. The bank employee will make the necessary changes in the security system, and you will be able to use your card in the time-period indicated.
When the indicated period for a lift on restrictions expires, the security system will continue to observe your card and restrict suspicious card operations.
Recommendations for safe use of payment cards abroad
- Be very attentive when using a payment card abroad. Do not use the card to pay for anything in suspicious-looking and remote locations – always pay attention to your surroundings.
- Use ATMs installed in banks and shopping centres to withdraw cash.
- When you withdraw cash from an ATM, be sure to look around and see if there are no unusual devices attached to the cash machine, and if there are no bystanders watching you as you enter your PIN code.
- Be cautious when using a payment card to purchase something online. Behave with the same care when dealing with online salesmen as you would with telephone salesmen or any other strangers.
- Watch every move that the salesman makes with your card – do not let them carry it out, make sure that the card they return is the original card and not a duplicate.
- If you lose your payment card, or if the card gets stuck in a cash machine, immediately call at 19091 or landline phone number +370 5 221 9091 when calling from abroad and block it.